In most email client software, rules or filters are a function that allow for the automatic processing of messages. These rules can be very helpful for organization and email management. This article describes how to import and export rules from the Outlook client.
- Begin by opening Outlook under the profile of the account which currently has the rules that you’d like to export. The email address that appears at the top of the screen indicates the default account for the current Outlook profile.
- From the Ribbon at the top, click on the Rule drop-down, then “Manage Rules & Alerts.”
- Click on the “Options” button, and then “Export Rules.”
- Name and save the file to an easy place like the Desktop or Downloads folder.
- In Outlook, switch to the profile with the destination mail account for importing the rules.
- Repeat steps #1-3, selecting “Import Rules,” instead.
- Lastly, verify that the rules have been imported server side by going to the Outlook Web Client and checking the Inbox Rules section in Options.