All students, staff, and faculty of TAMHSC are eligible. All you need is a valid TAMHSC email address. To find out if you’re eligible:
- Go to http://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education and click on the “Find out if you’re eligible” button.
- Type your @tamhsc.edu email address into the box and hit “Sign up”.
- Next, check your email for a message from Microsoft on how to login to your account!
You can use Office 365 in any of these ways:
- You can install the application on up to 5 computers like your traditional Office applications. This software can be downloaded from the link in your email. **Please note that you should not attempt to install Office 365 on any HSC-owned computer, as these already have a full version of Office 2013**
- Go to http://office.com from any web browser and use the web applications directly in your web browser. This is much like Google Apps.
- You may also install the Office applications on your mobile devices including Surface tablets, iPads, and Android devices.
The cloud” is a friendly way of describing web-based computing services that are hosted away from a given physical location. When you use these services (like OneDrive that comes included with Office 365) at TAMHSC, your data resides off campus and is maintained by a third party (Microsoft, in this case). Because this infrastructure is located online or “in the cloud,” you can access it virtually anywhere including from a PC, tablet, smartphone, or any other device with an Internet connection.
Important: Confidential information–especially information that is protected under regulations such as HIPAA and FERPA–should never be stored in “the cloud” without first consulting with OIT Security at 979-436-0487.
Office 365 offers a full desktop installation option at no cost, not found in Google apps, giving you a traditional desktop install on up to 5 computers, if you prefer not to have a web based Office experience. OIT provides equal support for Office 365 and Google Apps, and we do not prefer one service over the other. We are happy to assist you with any questions you might have on either system. It’s truly up to you to decide which service works best for you, and OIT is available to answer any questions along the way!