Group Owners have the ability to control who has access to their group from the HSC-ID web portal. Owners are generally assigned during the creation of the group, but sometimes are reassigned as job descriptions and business roles change.
In some situations, it is necessary for more than one person to have ownership rights for a group. These instructions will help the primary owner of the group share their permissions with secondary owners.
Step 1: Navigate to System Entitlements
- In the Systems Entitlements display, you can view the groups that you own.
- In the example below, there are two groups with the same information that have different icons. If the group you want to edit has multiple icons, you need to choose the icon that looks like a person.
: Security Group – grants access to a resource like a network share or distribution list. Click on this icon to manage membership.
: Mail-Enabled Group – this means the group also allows access to a distribution list. Do not click on this icon!
Note: A Security Group can also be a Mail-Enabled Group as shown above.
Step 2: Select the Group you want to Add/Remove and navigate to Owners
- You will see all of the group’s owners on the right side of the page.
Step 3: Create a new Owner Role
- At the bottom right side of the page, select the “Create new owner role” button. A pop-up will appear.
- Enter in the name of the group as the Application Role, and a description if you wish (not required).
- Click Save.
- You will see a green banner at the top that says “The new product role [name of your role] has been created.”
- IMPORTANT: make sure to reassign yourself and your secondary owners! You can do this by searching using the index search in the center of the page. Click on the “x” by the person’s name when they appear in the results. You should see the “x” turn into a checkmark, and their name appear under “Assigned” on the right side of the page.
- Click “Save”.
You have added secondary owners to your group.
Note: If you do and/or your designees do NOT want to manage group membership, you can request for OIT to manage it instead. Please do this by contacting the OIT Helpdesk and submitting a work order. OIT will still contact you for approval before adding or removing people from your group.